Sarah Marshall - Kingstec Campus Learning Centre
Year: 2017 – Province: Nova Scotia
Certificate of Excellence Recipient
Kingstec Campus Learning Centre
236 Belcher Street
Kentville, Nova Scotia B4N 0A6
Type of setting: Community College with Early Childhood Education program, children aged 0 to 5 years
Have you ever thought of using your head to paint? This educator has. Providing students with the materials they need for their wonderful ideas, every day is an exciting new journey as Sarah Marshall guides students to explore their creative sides.
Philosophy of care
A partner to children as they explore the world, Marshall draws inspiration from nature to develop engaging activities for her students. Embracing a Reggio-approach, she uses open-ended questions and collaborates with students on projects to make their visions come to life and allowing them to express themselves creatively.
Support of child development
- From helmets equipped with a paint brush, to shipping tubes to make tunnels for their cars, Marshall takes everyday materials and turns them into engaging activities
- Looking to repurpose shelving and cardboard, Marshall created an art studio in her classroom allowing for students to each have their own station.
- Marshall played a leadership role in reconfiguring the preschool, creating an open learning environment for the children and facilitating shared learning among educators.
Involvement with parents, families and the community
- Marshall was part of an initiative to create relationships with other local Reggio-inspired centres within the community. She also facilitated joint workshops with other centres to share in learning about Forest and Nature Schools.
- Marshall understands that parents want to feel part of their child's day and takes the time to write detailed stories to tell them about daily activities, what inspired the children and what kind of skills they learned or displayed.
"The most important characteristic Sarah brings as an educator of early childhood development is an enthusiasm and passion for children. This goes well beyond enjoying being with children. It means wanting to make a difference to each and every child."
"It is evident in the bonds and relationships between Sarah and the children that they have responded and accepted the support and feelings of safety that she has provided."
- Date modified: