Bea Van Roy
Year: 2016 – Province: British Columbia
Certificate of Achievement Recipient
Centennial Daycare Centre
106-740 Hillside Avenue
Victoria, British Columbia V8T 1Z4
Type of setting: Licensed group daycare for children ages 3 to 5 years
Working with children is what Bea Van Roy is passionate about, what inspires her and what makes her come alive, even after 35 years as an early childhood educator.
Philosophy of care
Compassionate and fair, Mrs. Van Roy gives each child an equal opportunity to share discoveries about themselves and the world around them. She also encourages them to try new things and challenge themselves to find new ways to reach their goals.
Support of child development
- Specializes in nature walks to get children away from the busyness of inner-city life (and organized a well-received workshop on this topic); also spearheaded the development of a garden in the centre's yard, and has set up worm composting, with the help of a local business.
- Goes the extra mile to support children with special needs, becoming, for example, one child's unofficial educational assistant while the family waited to receive his autism diagnosis.
- Builds on her own experience as an immigrant to respect and promote the home cultures and languages of the children in her care and to help newcomers to Canada find their way.
Involvement with parents, families and the community
- Seeks out opportunities, such as discounts on admission charges, to make it possible for children from low-income families to participate in outings.
- Develops individual "learning stories" that she presents to families at graduation, highlighting their children's growth, interests and development over their time at the centre.
- Organizes annual events for families, such as the Christmas Party, graduation and summer barbecue: solicits donations for door prizes by visiting local businesses, often with a child in tow; contacts parents to encourage their attendance; and, when needed, dresses up as Santa.
"[Bea] embodies all the qualities any parent could possibly ask for: respect, encouragement, discipline, tolerance and love."
"She has the great talent of not only challenging the children to discover their capabilities, but the staff as well."
- Date modified: