Lois Mae (Tara) Pearson
Year: 2016 – Province: British Columbia
Certificate of Achievement Recipient
Core Education & Fine Arts (CEFA) New Westminster
725 Carnarvon Street
New Westminster, British Columbia V3M 1E6
Type of setting: Junior Kindergarten for children ages 1 to 5 years
With a calm and grounded approach, long-time educator Tara Pearson is the person children have come to depend on for love and care, and whom colleagues turn to for advice and suggestions.
Philosophy of care
Ms. Pearson is dedicated to making the world a better place by giving children a solid start in their education and life. She teaches them to be good citizens by modelling what it means to work hard, be polite and respectful, and give back to the community.
Support of child development
- Uses drama classes not only to help children create and explore imaginary worlds but also to teach them to share, use their words and collaborate with each other.
- Develops curriculum specific to an individual child to meet his or her developmental needs, whether the child is ahead of or behind peers.
- Cultivates genuine relationships with all the children to help them overcome struggles and become confident learners.
Involvement with parents, families and the community
- Started a food drive in her class, taking the children to donate their items personally; several years later, the school now holds events throughout the year to support people in need.
- Responds to parents' questions and concerns not only from her extensive knowledge but also with her own research on what might best help a child or a family.
- Excels at giving parents feedback on their children's progress, based on her careful observations.
"[Tara] doesn't only teach [children] how to say the ABC's or their 1, 2, 3's, but she teaches them a great sense of love."
"I believe that the teachers/educators who have a true love for their profession truly inspire the people around them and effortlessly foster relationships with the students. Without a doubt, Ms. Pearson exemplifies this quality."
- Date modified: