Year: 2016 – Province: British Columbia
Certificate of Achievement Recipient
Fine Arts Montessori Centre
105-6488 Garden City Road
Richmond, British Columbia V6Y 3G1
Type of setting: Child care centre for children ages 2.5 to 5 years
Nicky Nickpasand shows that children are her number one priority not only by the activities she leads and the love she provides but also the care she takes of the facility to ensure children have a clean and safe environment in which to learn and play.
Philosophy of care
Recognizing that each child is different, Ms. Nickpasand helps children develop at their own pace while addressing any developmental needs they may have. She provides love and affection, alongside discipline, with clear explanations of what is right and wrong.
Support of child development
- Prepares children to move on to school with a comprehensive curriculum involving science, math, reading, geography and art; enhances her lessons using a SMARTboard.
- Introduces children to a variety of languages, including French, Mandarin and Spanish, as well as movement and dance, as part of the centre's fine arts focus.
- Builds learning about various cultures into the curriculum, transforming holidays such as Chinese New Year into Chinese Friendship Week to not only celebrate but also learn about Chinese culture.
Involvement with parents, families and the community
- Emphasizes that parents must be actively involved in their children's learning and growth: parent participation in many activities is mandatory.
- Capitalizes on the celebration of Mother's Day and Father's Day by having parents come to the centre on those occasions to participate in one-on-one and group activities with their children.
- Organizes a food drive each Thanksgiving: families are encouraged to bring in non-perishable goods for donation to a local food bank.
"I have seen [Nicky] in action with her class on many occasions and was impressed with her organization, compassion, sense of humour, passion for learning and positive attitude."
"I truly feel Ms. Nickpasand's early childhood education will set up a strong foundation for any child when transitioning into Kindergarten and/or Grade One education."
- Date modified: