Year: 2016 – Province: Saskatchewan
Certificate of Achievement Recipient
Elrose ABC Family Centre Inc.
P.O. Box 123
Elrose, Saskatchewan S0L 0Z0
Type of setting: Child care centre for children ages 0 to 12 years
With five other young mothers, Meghan Nickason conceived, secured government approval and fundraised to build a licensed child care centre for a small rural town, with strong community backing.
Philosophy of care
As the centre's director, "Megs" cultivates positive energy among her team and leads by example, such that all the centre's staff strive to create a learning environment where children feel supported, safe, respected and loved.
Support of child development
- Designs opportunities for play and investigation to reflect the widely varying needs and developmental stages of infants, pre-schoolers and school-age children.
- Employs music and music making as a multi-faceted way to promote development: children build motor skills, learn the meaning of words, appreciate rhythm, practise sharing and cooperation, and develop their creativity.
- Connects to children's spiritual needs through living creatures: the centre is home to plants—indoors and out—as well as tadpoles, bugs, bunnies, butterflies and even lovebirds.
Involvement with parents, families and the community
- Researches funding opportunities for low-income families to help make high-quality child care available to all.
- Involves the children in giving back and saying thank you: on the first anniversary of the centre, the children delivered plants they had planted to individuals and businesses that had supported the construction of the centre.
- Recognized by parents and community stakeholders in a 360° evaluation for her efforts to involve and keep families apprised of activities at the centre, and to maintain confidentiality, which can be difficult in a small town.
"In [Meghan's] trusting hands the women of the community have been afforded more opportunity because we can leave our children and feel good about it."
"The community of Elrose, Saskatchewan is small but has a big heart and Meghan is a valuable and devoted member of this community."
- Date modified: