Year: 2016 – Province: Ontario
Certificate of Achievement Recipient
Isabella Walton Childcare Centre
835 Birchmount Road
Scarborough, Ontario M1K 5K1
Type of setting: Child care centre for children ages 2.5 to 4 years
Lori Benn is always ready to spring into action whenever one of the children in her care has an idea or question. If this "gem" of an educator doesn't know the answer, she says, "Let's find out together."
Philosophy of care
Mrs. Benn respects each child as an individual. She sets up activities to respond to a variety of learning styles and expands experiences until all children grasp the content or their curiosity has been satisfied.
Support of child development
- Incorporates children's interests into activities, and responds to the daily events of life to inspire exploration: one boy brought in snails that became a living part of the science table for days; when a CD player broke, children took it apart and learned how it worked, rather than throwing it out.
- Responds to the needs of individual children, whether they struggle with transitions, do not speak English, or have developmental delays or behavioural problems.
Involvement with parents, families and the community
- Involves families in their children's development through take-home resources: travelling suitcases contain learning activities with cue cards of instructions for parents; children can sign out books from the Snuggle Time library.
- Incorporates the cultures and languages of the children into the class with songs in many languages, crafts such as origami, and learning about the holidays and dress of various cultures.
- Invites a librarian to come to the centre and sign everyone up for library cards; regular outings to the library to check out books follow, as part of preparing children for full-day Kindergarten.
"Mes enfants sont complètement bilingues et ma première fille réussit très bien à l'école … et je n'ai pas assez de mots pour exprimer d'une façon exhaustive la gratitude que nous éprouvons à l'égard de Lori Benn."
"Year after year, faculty [from post-secondary early childhood education programs] … let me know that Laurie is an excellent role model for [their] students."
- Date modified: