What To Do If You Find Errors in Your Credit Report?

What to do if you find errors in your credit report / file?

It's a good idea to request a copy of your credit report from the two credit-reporting agencies at least once a year to verify that your personal information is up to date, that your financial information is correct, and to ensure that you have not been the victim of identity fraud. Because your credit information can be kept by more than one credit-reporting agency, and because those agencies do not necessarily share information, it's important to check all credit reports carefully (it is possible to obtain your credit file for free once a year — please consult the agency's website in order to obtain more information).

Errors can include someone else's information on your file; debts listed that aren't yours; debts listed that have been paid in full; and incorrect payment history.

If you do find information in your file that is inaccurate or incomplete

You have the right to explain or protest. Contact the credit reporting agency regarding their dispute resolution process. If you still do not agree with an item following the Agency's investigation, TransUnion and Equifax websites inform you as to how you can add an explanatory statement to your report.

If you are still not satisfied that your file is correct:

  1. You may wish to contact your provincial / territorial regulator responsible for consumer affairs (as credit reporting agencies falls under provincial / territorial jurisdiction). Here is the complete list from the Canadian Consumer Handbook.
  2. You can also contact the Federal Privacy Commissioner (except in the case of Quebec, B.C. and Alberta where you should contact the Provincial Privacy Commissioner). The Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA) also sets out ground rules for how private sector organizations can collect, use or disclose personal information in the course of commercial activities. Under PIPEDA individuals have a right to see the personal information that a business holds about them, to correct any inaccuracies and to lodge a complaint with the Privacy Commissioner of Canada if they are unhappy with how an organization is handling their information.

Please note: If the incorrect information comes from a federally regulated financial institution, the Financial Consumer Agency of Canada (FCAC) website provides additional information on how to get errors corrected.

Coordinates for the major credit reporting agencies in Canada:

Equifax Canada
Tel: 1-800-465-7166
Fax: 514-355-8502

TransUnion Canada
Tel: 1-866-525-0262 (For all residents except Quebec)
Tel: 1-877-713-3393 (For Quebec residents)

For more information on credit reports and scores, please visit the publication called Understanding Your Credit Report and Credit Score published by the Financial Consumer Agency of Canada.

Next Page – Improving your credit score
Back – Credit Reports, Credit Scores and Credit Repair

Back to Main Menu