Calibration of mass standards
Only standards used by Measurement Canada inspectors and authorized service providers are calibrated by Measurement Canada's laboratories. Standards and apparatus must be authorized by and registered with Measurement Canada to qualify for this service.
For standards used to inspect class III, IIIHD and IIII scales:
- A direct comparison method is used to determine whether the tolerances in Part III or IV (as applicable) of Schedule IV of the Weights and Measures Regulations have been met.
For high precision standards used to inspect class II scales (typically used to weigh precious metals):
- A series of intercomparisons are used to determine whether the tolerances in Part I or II (as applicable) of Schedule IV of the Weights and Measures Regulations have been met.
No fees apply.
- Authorized service provider calibration checklist
- A-2—Calibrations of Standards and Measuring Apparatus Owned and Used by Authorized Service Providers to Conduct Inspections
- Laboratory Manual for the Evaluation of Weight Kits
- Shipping requirements
- Service standards
- Customer feedback on laboratory services
- Measurement Canada's CLAS certificate
- Date modified: